Travis A. Richards
proves time and
time again that his body is housing an incredible amount of talent that
needs to be seen and heard by the world."
I began my study in music at a young age and developed it through my schooling. I picked up the trombone at the age of 12 and haven't stopped playing it since, having just received my Trombone Performance degree at Northern Kentucky University in December, 2011. I have performed with many ensembles at NKU, and other professional ensembles such as the Kentucky Symphony Orchestra.
I am currently studying for a Masters Degree in Music Composition at the University of Nevada Las Vegas. I look forward to my graduate studies and plan to pursue a DMA in the near future. I strive to develop my skills to a point that I may teach at a collegiate level in the future as well as compose for the rest of my life. I also have a great interest in Video Game/Film music and seek to pursue a career in that field as well.
Some consider my compositional flavor dark, and others consider it epic. Both of these adjectives definitely describe the characteristic of my music, but I am capable of writing for many ensembles in various styles. I utilize tools such as Logic Pro, Finale and East West/Quantum Leap: Symphonic Orchestra to create my music, though nothing compares to the opportunity to have live performers, especially in a concert setting. I continue to learn so I may refine and put my skills to use as a Video Game Composer. I see video games as an incredible opportunity for music to flourish and grow through the unique aspects of gameplay and cinematics. I hold many video game composers on the same level as the great traditional composers. Video games are a new revolution for composers' music to grow and evolve, just as many of the great traditional composers benefited from innovations of their times.
I am a member of Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia, GANG, and ASCAP.
Enjoy your visit!
- Northern Kentucky University
- B.M. Performance (Trombone) - December 17, 2011
- University of Nevada Las Vegas
- M.M. Composition - In Progress
- March 19, 2009 - Vervo Spirituoso (brass choir)
- December 10, 2009 - Pioneer (concert band)
- March 18, 2010 - Epic (brass choir)
- November 11, 2010 - Heavy Metal (brass choir)
a Dozen more small ensemble/solo premieres
Awards and Recognitions:
- 2011-2012 KMEA Collegiate Composition Contest Winner
- NWNPodcast Interviews: Episodes 117, 119, 148, 150
- Northern Kentucky University:
- Neverending Nights - Music Master, Voice (Seasons 2 and 3)
- Neverending Daze - Music Master (Mini Series used for NWN2 Promo)
- The Dark Tide: Machinima
- Music, Voice
Trombone Performance Clips:
- God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen - This is me performing with the NKU Jazz Ensemble Trombone Section (2009) on lead trombone of an arrangement by the director, William Brian Hogg.
- Trombolo - This is me performing my own personal composition
- Chameleon - This is the NKU Pep Band playing Chameleon with me soloing at 1:45.